Comfort Food: Quick and Easy Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe for Mourners
Today, we have a tasty chicken noodle soup recipe to comfort the grievers in your life who need some delicious home cooking.
Approximately 1 ½ hours.
What You'll Need
- Large soup pot
- Chef's knife
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
2 carrots, peeled and sliced
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
6 garlic cloves, chopped
8 cups chicken stock
3 lb skinless chicken breast or thighs, uncooked
2 ½ bags egg noodles, uncooked
3 tbsp olive oil
¼ cup white cooking wine
Black pepper, freshly ground
3 tbsp parsley, chopped
3 tbsp dill, chopped
3 tbsp lemon juice, freshly squeezed
½ tsp oregano, diced
- In your large soup pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add carrots, onion, celery, garlic, and some salt and pepper. Add white cooking wine and cook until the vegetables are golden brown and soft, stirring often.
- Add chicken pieces and stock and stir until well mixed. Increase heat and bring soup to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and allow to simmer. It will take approximately 45 minutes for the chicken to cook through.
- Check that the chicken is cooked. Remove the chicken from the pot and cut or shred into bite-sized pieces. Throw away any bones or cartilage and add the chicken back into the pot.
- Add the egg noodles to the pot and allow to cook for about 7 minutes. Stir often and check for tenderness, adjusting cooking time accordingly.
- Remove soup from heat. Season with parsley, dill, and lemon juice. Taste, and add more salt and pepper if needed. Serve hot.
Storing and Freezing
There's a reason folks say chicken noodle soup is food for the soul. This soup can be easily portioned, frozen, and reheated — making it the perfect gift for a family in need of an easy meal while in the midst of funeral planning.