Winter-Inspired Funeral Personalization Ideas
Posted by: Erin Ward in Funeral Planning Resources, Memorialization | December 17, 2020
If your loved one passed away during the winter, you can design a personalized funeral service that reflects the season. Or even if it isn’t wintertime, you can still bring winter indoors if it was their favorite time of year.
To get you started, here are some winter-inspired funeral personalization ideas for honoring your loved one’s legacy.
Winter-Inspired Funeral Service Locations
Depending on your climate, you may want an indoor location if it’s cold. Or if you want to embrace the season, provide your funeral guests with items to keep them warm, such as hand warmers and a hot chocolate station.
Whether you choose an indoor or outdoor location, here are a few winter-inspired funeral location ideas:
- Local park with an ice rink or snowmen to set the winter scene
- Barn with portable heaters to keep your guests warm
- Family member’s house or backyard that’s decorated for the season
- Family’s cabin that has a wintry location
- Reserved area at a local ski resort that has a beautiful view of the snowy hills
Winter-Inspired Funeral Decorations
Whether you want to spice up your outdoor location or bring winter indoors, these decorations can help create a winter-themed funeral:
- Blue and white string lights
- Winter-scented candles
- Garlands and wreaths
- Fake snow
- Photos of your loved one in the wintertime
Funeral Personalization for the Winter-Inspired Funeral Reception
When planning a winter-inspired post-funeral reception, warm dishes are the way to go, especially if it’s outdoors. These can be casseroles, soups, pasta dishes, or any other warm dishes that your loved one enjoyed. You can also serve hot chocolate and warm apple cider. And don’t forget your loved one’s favorite winter treats for dessert.
To make it even more personalized, your family members can each make a dish to pass. Or, understandably, if you don’t want to add another task to your plate, check with your chosen funeral home to see if they partner with any local catering companies or restaurants.
Winter-Inspired Gift Ideas for Funeral Guests
To give your funeral guests something special to remember your loved one by, these are a few winter-inspired ideas:
- Ornament (many funeral homes offer a selection of holiday remembrance ornaments)
- Winter hat or scarf in your loved one’s favorite color
- Winter-themed quote or poem
- Copy of your loved one’s favorite winter recipe
What other winter-inspired funeral personalization ideas do you have? Share them with us in the comments!